Smallest and Lowest Power Cortex Processors
Optimized for deterministic real-time embedded processing and microcontroller applications
The Arm Cortex-M processor family is a range of scalable, energy efficient and easy-to-use processors that meet the needs of tomorrow’s smart and connected embedded applications. The processors are supported by the world’s #1 embedded ecosystem and have already been shipped in tens of billions of devices. Cortex-M processors help developers deliver more features, in less time, at a lower cost, with versatile connectivity, comprehensive code reuse, standard security and state of the art energy efficiency.
Arm Cortex-M Offers
- Cortex-M0, Cortex M0+, and Cortex-M23 for applications requiring minimal cost, power and area
- Cortex-M3, Cortex-M4, and Cortex-M33 for all applications where a balance between 32-bit performance and energy efficiency is desirable
- Cortex-M7 is designed for embedded applications requiring high performance
- Cortex-M35P for applications where protection from physical attacks is required
The Cortex-M23, Cortex-M33, and Cortex-M35P include Arm TrustZone technology for solutions that require optimized, efficient security.
The Arm Cortex-M4, Cortex-M7, Cortex-M33, and Cortex-M35P processors integrate Digital Signal Processing (DSP) and floating point operations for fast and power-efficient algorithm processing of digital signal control applications such as sensor fusion, motor control and power management.
The Arm Cortex-M35P is the first tamper resistant Armv8-M processor with TrustZone technology to combine the feature-rich, developer-friendly Cortex-M profile with physical and software security.
Social Robot ElliQ Alleviates Loneliness Among Elderly
ElliQ is an engaging robotic companion that learns its owner’s behavior patterns to proactively suggest activities, play music, videos, and ebooks, and connect to family and friends through social media. Intuition Robotics uses Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 SoC built on Arm Cortex technology, with machine learning functionality.
The Arm Cortex-M processors utilize Arm Thumb-2 technology to offer superior code density compared to 8-bit,16-bit and fixed 32-bit architectures, reducing the memory requirements to maximize the usage of precious on-chip Flash memory. Thumb-2 technology supports a fundamental base of 16-bit Thumb instructions, extended to include more powerful 32-bit instructions. In many cases, a C compiler will use the 16-bit version of the instruction unless the operation can be carried out more efficiently using a 32-bit version.
Arm Cortex-M processors provide:
- High performance and efficiency
- Easy software development, as all Cortex-M processors are fully C programmable
- Compact data footprint, with support for 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit data transfers
- Fast and power-efficient algorithm processing with DSP extensions in Cortex-M4, Cortex-M7 and Cortex-M33
- Tamper-resistant protection against physical attacks with Cortex-M35P
The Armv8-M based Cortex-M processors also include TrustZone technology. TrustZone has been proven as a security foundation in billions of devices. TrustZone for the Cortex-M profile has been optimized for microcontroller class devices offering deterministic real-time interrupt response, low power and a small area with fast cross-domain calls.
Processors of choice
Arm Cortex-M processors are the most popular choice for embedded applications: licensed to over 350 Arm partners, used in billions of SoCs and supported by the world’s #1 embedded ecosystem with the widest third-party tools, RTOS and middleware support of any architecture. Using a standard processor within a design allows Arm partners to create devices with a consistent base, enabling them to focus on creating superior device implementations.
Cortex-M System Design Kit
To enable faster design cycles and time to market, Arm has created the Cortex-M System Design Kit (CMSDK), a comprehensive solution designed to work with Cortex-M processors out-of-the-box. It includes:
- A selection of Arm AMBA AHB and APB infrastructure components
- Essential peripherals such as GPIO, timers, watchdog, and UART
- Example systems for Cortex-M0, Cortex-M3 and Cortex-M4 processors
- Compilation and simulation scripts for the Verilog environment
- Software drivers and example programs
- A comprehensive solution for embedded designs
A growing number of fabless semiconductor companies are designing silicon around Arm Cortex-M processors for the first time, bringing the benefits of an efficient, easy-to-use, standard architecture to their end customers. With CMSDK and a Cortex-M processor, you can integrate a processing subsystem in to your product quickly, effectively and with minimum risk.
The Cortex-M family is optimized for cost and power-sensitive MCU and mixed-signal SoCs for applications including:
- Sensor fusion
- Connected clothing
- Medical instruments
- Smart lighting
- Smart cities
- Energy grid
- Smart cards
License for No Upfront Fee
Instant, simple access to evaluate proven Arm IP
Arm DesignStart provides the fastest, simplest, no-risk route to proven IP for custom silicon success – so you can design with confidence and get to market quicker. Create a custom SoC with the industry-leading Cortex-M0 and Cortex-M3 processors and system IP, for no upfront license fee, just a success-based royalty model.
Already registered? Login here