The Arm Real-time profile (R-profile) architecture provides high-performing processors for time-sensitive and safety-critical environments.
Versions of the R-profile architecture include Armv8-R, and Armv7-R.
The Armv8-R architecture is the latest generation Arm architecture targeted at the real-time profile. It introduces virtualization at the highest security level while retaining the Protected Memory System Architecture (PMSA) based on a memory protection unit (MPU).
Major Features for Engineers in Armv8-R
The Armv8-R architecture introduces a number of features that allow you to design and implement high-performing processors for safety-critical environments. These include:
- No overlapping memory regions.
- New exception model compatible with the Armv8-A model.
- Virtualization with support for guest operating systems.
- Optionally, support for double-precision floating-point and advanced SIMD.
Armv8-R AArch64 is the latest R-Profile architecture that adds 64-bit execution capability and up to 48-bit physical addressing to the classic Arm real-time processor architecture. It includes optional Arm Neon technology, an advanced Single Instruction Multiple Data (SIMD) architecture extension to significantly accelerate machine learning (ML) workloads. For improved security, the Armv8-R AArch64 supports three Exception Levels (ELs) for compatibility with TrustZone-based systems.
The Armv7-R architecture implements a traditional Arm architecture with multiple modes and supports a Protected Memory System Architecture (PMSA) based on a memory protection unit (MPU). It supports the Arm (32) and Thumb (T32) instruction sets.
This architecture supports several extensions. These are:
- Multiprocessing Extensions. These are an optional set of extensions that provide a set of features that enhance multiprocessing functionality.
- Generic Timer Extension. This is an optional extension that provides a system timer and a low-latency register interface to it.
- Performance Monitors Extension. This extension defines a recommended performance monitors implementation and reserves register space for performance monitors.
Explore R-Profile Products
With real-time deterministic control, the Cortex-R processor series offers reliable, high-performance computing for functionally safe electronic systems, including production lines and human machine interfaces (HMI).
Other CPU Architectures
Offers the highest performance of all architecture profiles
Designed for small, low power, highly energy-efficient devices
Morello is a research program with the potential to radically change the way we design and program processors in the future to improve built-in security.