Internet of Things Education Kit
Teaching materials now available on GitHub.
You can download the materials by clicking the button below which will take you to Arm Education's official GitHub pages.
Teach your students fundamental concepts of the Internet of Things (IoT), such as embedded systems, connectivity, cloud computing, and security. Provide them with practical experience in creating smartphone apps and controlling a wearable device using the Arm Mbed platform and Android SDK. This kit focuses on the transformative intersection between the internet, mobile and sensor technology and providing the skill set to get involved in IoT development.
- A full set of lecture slides, ready for use in a typical 10-12-week undergraduate course (see full syllabus).
- Lab manuals with solutions for faculty. Labs use low cost, powerful hardware boards.
- Code for certain lab exercises is available upon request from here.
- Prerequisites: Basics of programming in C/ C++, entry level Java programming.
Additional Resource: Smart Farming IoT Worksheet
To accompany this Education Kit, learners are provided with an engaging and relatable real-world problem where they are asked to create a technology-based solution within a set success criteria.
These resources use a PBL (Project Based Learning) pedagogy, where learning occurs through extended working, investigating and responding within an authentic, engaging, and complex problem. The learning is student-centred and delivered through the experience of solving open-ended problem found in the contextualised material.
The resources employ a combination of constructionism (a constructivist-based theory of learning) which draws upon cognitivism (constructing mental models of the world) and behaviourism (task analysis, reward of success, skills-based constructs). Download the resource here for free below.
To produce students who can specify, design, and program modern connected electronic systems in response to the ever-growing number of connected devices
- Knowledge and understanding of:
- Internet of Things (IoT) fundamentals
- IoT and embedded system architectures
- Embedded and Android application programming
- Connectivity and networking technologies
- Cloud computing
- IoT security
- Outline the concepts of the Internet of Things (IoT) and key challenges involved in building an IoT based application
- Identify different IoT architectures and the scope of different standardization bodies
- Describe the concept of embedded systems design and design considerations in their development
- Explain how the Mbed Platform and CMSIS is used in embedded systems design
- Outline different wireless technologies: Bluetooth, BLE, LoRaWAN, NB-IoT and IEEE 802.11 protocols used in IoT
- Define the concept of ‘the Cloud’ and identify different Cloud interfacing protocols
- Outline the importance of security in IoT and different methods for achieving it
- Discuss the current and future trends which will enhance IoT technology
- Demonstrate a simple program using the Mbed platform
- Implement a program to control peripherals on a microcontroller
- Explain how to create and debug a simple Android app
- Implement a simple BLE program that emulates a heart rate monitor
- Design a simple Android application to display the data received from a BLE device on the screen
- Develop a program to read values from on-board sensors
- Implement a program that sends on-board sensor values to a mobile app
- Implement a program to send sensor values from a device to a device management platform
- Create a simple neural network model in the cloud which predicts different class of activities using the sensors on-board in real time
|1||Introduction to the Internet of Things|
|2||IoT system architecture and standards|
|3||Introduction to Embedded Systems|
|4||Hardware platforms for IoT|
|5||The Arm Cortex-M4 Processor architecture|
|6||Interrupts and low power features|
|7||Introduction to Mbed Platform|
|8||IoT Connectivity, Part I|
|9||IoT Connectivity, Part II|
|12||Current and Future IoT trends|