A lossless image compression protocol and format, AFBC minimizes the amount of data transferred between IP blocks within a SoC. Its lossless compression ratios are comparable with other leading standards but with the added benefit of fine grained random access, which importantly allows for the application of AFBC throughout other IP blocks within your SoC design.
It is available in all ARM Mali Video Engines, future ARM Mali Graphics Processing Units and as a licensable IP for the display processor.
ARM Frame Buffer Compression has the following properties:
- Lossless data compression
- Random access down to 4x4 block level
- Bounded worst-case compression ratios
- Support for both YUV and RGB formats
- Compression ratios comparable to other lossless compression standards
- YUV compression ratio of typically 50%