The Cortex-A9 processor is proven in a wide range of devices and is one of ARM's most widely deployed and mature applications processors. Cortex-A9 processor offers an overall performance enhancement over 25% higher than Cortex-A8 per core, plus the ability to implement multi-core designs that further scale the performance increase.
The Cortex-A9 implements the widely supported ARMv7-A architecture with an efficient microarchitecture:
- High-efficiency, dual-issue superscalar, out-of-order, dynamic length pipeline (8 – 11 stages)
- Highly configurable L1 caches, and optional NEON and Floating-point extensions
- Available as a Single processor configuration, or a scalable multi-core configuration with up to 4 coherent cores
For the most high-end 32-bit devices, Cortex-A17 delivers more performance and efficiency in a similar footprint than it’s predecessor, the Cortex-A9. They are based of a similar pipeline, with Cortex-A17 extending the capabilities in single thread performance and adding big.LITTLE support and virtualization that were not in the original Cortex-A9 offering.
- Scalable performance and power efficiency for a broad range of 32-bit consumer, networking, enterprise and mobile applications
- Support the wide ARMv7-A 32-bit software eco-system
- Mature and silicon proven in multiple process technologies
The Cortex-A9 processor is suitable for low-power, cost-sensitive 32-bit devices which require competitive power efficiency. Beyond being one of ARM’s most successful mobile phone processors, it is now successfully implemented for a range of other products.
The Cortex-A9 processor can be incorporated into an SoC using a broad range of ARM technology including Graphics IP, System IP, and Physical IP. It is fully supported by ARM development tools. Related IP includes:
|Graphic IP||Other IP||Tools|
ARM training courses and Active Assist on-site system-design advisory services enable licensees to efficiently integrate the Cortex-A9 processor into their design to realize maximum system performance with lowest risk and fastest time-to-market.