Software development cycles for embedded systems can be delayed waiting for expensive development hardware. Remaining competitive in today’s market requires fast turn-around of fully-featured software that has been developed on a fully validated system.
Solution: Early access to a Virtual Prototype (VP) for accelerated software development
With ARM Fast Models, software development can begin prior to silicon availability. These extensively validated programmer’s view models provide access to ARM-based systems suitable for early software development. Used in conjunction with ARM DS-5 Development Studio, the Fast Models can help developers debug, analyze, and optimize their applications throughout the development cycle.
Fast Models are delivered as either Fixed Virtual Platforms (FVP) or a library of models for building virtual prototypes tailored to specific SoCs and embedded systems.
Development of Virtual Prototypes
The Virtual Prototype will typically consist of models of ARM IP, models of 3rd party IP and custom hardware. ARM provides solutions for assembling and building sub-systems with ARM Fast Models. The sub-system is then extended via export to SystemC and connection to 3rd party models via standardised TLM 2.0 interfaces for AMBA. The VP can then be simulated with the Accellera SystemC reference simulator or with the solutions from EDA partners such as Synopsys and Cadence with whom we work closely.
These virtual platforms can then be conveniently distributed to software developers for early software development without the need for expensive, hard to maintain development boards.
Find out more...
- Executing millions of ARM instructions per second – productive software development
- Verified with the same validation suites as ARM IP – accuracy is assured
- Models for all ARM CPUs, System IP and Media TP
- Models advanced ARM technologies such as caches, MMU, LPAE, virtualization, TrustZone and VFP
- Compatible deliverables from Linaro for Linux and Android development
- SystemC TLM 2.0 Export of ARM processor-based subsystems and models to support creation of complete VPs
- Swap and Play with Cycle Models to support system bring up & optimization