The Cortex-A7 processor is a very energy-efficient applications processor designed to provide rich performance in entry level and mid-range smartphones, today's high-end wearables and other low-power embedded and consumer applications.
The processor is fully compatible with other ARMv7 Cortex-A series processors and incorporates all features of the high-performance Cortex-A15 and Cortex-A17 processors, including virtualization support in hardware, Large Physical Address Extensions (LPAE), NEON, and AMBA 4 bus interface.
The Cortex-A7 processor:
- Provides best power-efficiency and low footprint as a stand-alone applications processor
- Similar performance to mainstream smartphone in 2012 based on Cortex-A9
- Up to 20% more single thread performance compared to Cortex-A5 at similar energy efficiency
- Is used as an energy-efficient LITTLE CPU with a high-performance Cortex-A15 or Cortex A-17 processor to enable ARM big.LITTLE Processing
- Software can run seamlessly on an energy-efficient Cortex-A7 processor and on a high-performance Cortex-A15 or Cortex-A17 processor as needed without recompilation
- The LITTLE Cortex-A7 processor powers low processing intensity tasks such as scrolling or reading a web page, and lighter weight tasks like texting, e-mail and audio, while the big processor manages periods of high processing intensity tasks, such as initial web page rendering and game physics calculation. This reduces energy consumption and improves processing performance.
- AMBA 4 ACE coherency interface enables sub-20us context migration between big and LITTLE CPU clusters
The Cortex-A7 processor has been licensed by a large number of the industry's leading silicon manufacturers including: