The Internet of Things (IoT) is about devices and services delivering end-to-end solutions. The ARM® mbed™ IoT Device Platform is the fastest way to create commercial and interoperable connected IoT devices based on ARM microcontrollers. Interoperability between nodes and cloud services across market segments will unleash the full potential of the IoT. Although the IoT market is made up of many vertical segments, most applications that can make use of Internet connected devices have a common foundation. For example - smart cities, basic wearables and smart home devices require basic OS functionality like drivers, device security and provisioning support. In addition, network connectivity varies from application to application, in general however, the IP networking, security, application layer and device management needs are all common.
The ARM mbed IoT Device Platform provides all the key ingredients to build secure and efficient IoT applications through ARM’s mbed OS, mbed Device Server and mbed Community Ecosystem.
With the ARM mbed IoT Device Platform we are:
- Solving the fragmentation problem in embedded design by providing a common OS foundation for developing IoT devices.
- Enabling future proof designs by supporting all the key open standards for connectivity and device management.
- Enabling updatable and secure devices at the edge capable of additional processing and functionality.
- Solving the complex problem of power consumption by providing automatic power management.
- Providing cloud based development tool suite so that you develop your products faster than ever.
- Bringing together leading embedded and cloud technology companies along with component manufacturers, system integrators and OEMs who want to enable the technology, tools and services needed to accelerate innovation in the creation and deployment of IoT Systems.
ARM mbed IoT Device Platform
Find Out More...
The revolutions in web 2.0 and smartphones were enabled by the creation of platforms, and the widespread innovation they made possible. The disruptive jump in complexity brought on by IoT devices, combined with the requirement for their development at scale means embedded development must enter the platform era too.
We're creating a modern full-stack operating system, designed for ARM® Cortex®-M-based MCUs; the worlds leading 32-bit microcontrollers that already sell in the billions. Inspired by the highly productive programing frameworks and tools of the web, and optimised for energy efficiency, built-in connectivity, security and reusable software components, it will become the foundation that enables widespread innovation in the IoT space.
mbed OS is an operating system for IoT devices and is especially well-suited to run in the energy constrained environments. The OS includes the connectivity, security and device management functionalities required in every IoT device.
mbed OS provides a C++ Application Framework and component architecture that is used to create device applications, eliminating much of the low-level work normally associated with MCU code development.
Some of the key benefits include:
- Connectivity protocol stack support for Bluetooth® low energy, Cellular, Ethernet, Thread, Wi-Fi®, Zigbee IP, Zigbee NAN, 6LoWPAN
- Automation of power management
- Software asset protection and secure firmware updates for device security and management
- Supports a wide range of ARM Cortex-M based hardware platforms from major MCU vendors
- Support for OMA Lightweight M2M protocol for device management
- Updatable and secure devices at the edge capable of additional processing and functionality
- Banking-class end-to-end IP security across the communication channels through TLS & DTLS
- Future proof designs by supporting all the key open standards for connectivity and device management