eCosPro-MMFS, Multimedia File System for eCosPro RTOS
eCosPro-MMFS is a middleware package for the eCosPro RTOS that provides a high performance filesystem specifically designed for streaming high volume and time critical data.
Typical markets for eCosPro-MMFS are personal video recorders (PVR), set-top boxes (STB), harddisk based video cameras, instrument recorders, personal radio recorders (PRR), video surveillance applications, multi-room video and audio, and similar high volume streaming applications.
eCosPro-MMFS provides both random access and streamed reading and writing of files. Streams support simultaneous reading and writing, and read position skipping. This later functionality facilitates the implementation of PVR features such as pause, fast forward and reverse viewing of live video.
The filesystem has been designed to provide near optimal throughput for modern hard disk and disk interface implementations. The performance of the filesystem not only enables improved functionality to be delivered to the end user, but also provides the opportunity to specify lower performance and correspondingly lower cost disks, whilst still meeting application performance goals.
Suitable for deployment in sealed-box consumer designs and other high reliability applications, the filesystem features automatic self initialization, self checking, and self healing. eCosPro-MMFS is shipped as an integral part of NXP STB220 set top box development kits.
Although eCosPro-MMFS is usually employed in the context of a hard disk based systems, it can also be used to extract the best performance from slower speed media, such as flash based removable cards. This can be beneficial in PRRs and instrument recorder type applications.
* Designed to support high volume streaming applications
* Capable of supporting multiple concurrent streams of compressed high definition video
* Fully buffered and cached operation to enable near optimal disk performance on streamed data
* Designed for fully autonomous operation it features self initialization, self checking, and self healing
* Standard eCos filesystem API for random access
* MMFSlib filesystem API extension for full streaming performance and control
* Filesystem parameters fully configurable and tuneable to application requirements
* Single non-hierarchical directory system
* Per file resource data
* Requires associated DMA based IDE/SATA driver for maximum performance
eCosPro-MMFS is supplied as an installable and configurable eCos EPK module. Full source code and documentation are included along with engineering technical support. Its license allows for an unlimited number of deployed devices and is royalty free.