ARM’s highest performing processor, extending the capabilities of mobile and enterprise computing. Read More...
Microware® OS-9® is the high-performance, high-reliability real-time operating system (RTOS) from RadiSys. Top-ranked in recent RTOS surveys, OS-9 is proven world-wide in thousands of products representing hundreds of embedded applications, including industrial automation & control, automotive, and medical instrumentation.
OS-9 is a complete solution, including the OS kernel, software components, networking, graphics, power management and development tools – all backed and maintained by a dedicated RTOS support team at RadiSys so you can focus your development on your application.
ABOUT MICROWARE OS-9
Microware OS-9 provides an exceptional foundation for embedded real-time products. OS-9’s compact,
high-performance, multi-user, multi-tasking real-time kernel offers unique features to provide a solid foundation for time-to-revenue success. Features include:
• OS-9’s dynamic, modular architecture allows configuration changes and operating system enhancements during development or after deployment.
• OS-9’s process-based model provides system security and reliability.
• OS-9’s priority-based preemptive scheduler provides real-time responsiveness to real-world interrupts and events.
• OS-9’s support for lightweight processes using the POSIX threads API provides thread support for easy portability to the OS-9 environment.
• OS-9’s extensible I/O architecture supports a wide range of devices and protocols.
• OS-9 supports many additional capabilities graphics and browsers, networking and communication protocols (TCP/IP, ATM, IEEE 1394, USB, Bluetooth™, IEEE 802.11, and IrDA) and digital television and multimedia (MPEG, MP3), among others.
HARD REAL-TIME PERFORMANCE
OS-9 excels in applications where you need deterministic sub-microsecond response times to external events. Unlike Windows and Linux-based systems, OS-9 was designed from the beginning to meet the high performance and high reliability demands of time-critical embedded software applications.
OS-9 supports most popular 32-bit processors, including the 68K family, PowerPC, ARM/StrongARM, MIPS3000, MIPS64, SuperH (SH-3, SH-4, SH-4a), and x86/Pentium.
EXTENSIVE SET OF SOFTWARE TOOLS AND MIDDLEWARE
Designing embedded systems requires more than just an OS. Microware OS-9 includes a highly optimized C/C++ compiler, a fully-customizable development environment, the award-winning CodeWright programmer’s editor, graphical debugging tools, and middleware libaries and solutions that are either natively supported or available through the OS-9 network of embedded solution providers.
OS-9 and user applications can run completely out of ROM/Flash, leaving RAM dedicated for OS or program use. OS-9 modules are re-entrant. Ten copies of the same 500K program only uses 500K of program space and ten copies of data space (stack, process descriptors and other system structures
OS-9’s modular architecture enables OS-9 to be dynamically reconfigured to meet changing system requirements without rebooting. Virtually any OS-9 component may be added, removed, or updated either at system startup or while the system is running. This means you can add features and new functions easily, in real-time, and even after deployment to the field.