The VLX™ hypervisor is the leading mobile virtualization software that de-couples hardware management (ARM architecture) and application environments (Android, Linux, proprietary, Symbian, Windows), enabling separation of design and functionality concerns. This allows OS/device independence and fault tolerance with minimal overhead, as well as improved performance for multimedia and gaming, and enhanced device security through isolation.
VLX™ enables silicon vendors, original equipment manufactuers (OEMs)/original design manufacturers (ODMs) and mobile network operators to reduce time-to-market and development costs, while allowing product differentiation, without sacrificing software compliance and avoiding costly and risky re-certification.
VLX virtualization software enables smart phone functionality to be quickly introduced into feature phone architectures by enabling existing modem software and real-time operating system (RTOS) to co-exist with open OS and its applications on the same processor core.
VLX is fast, small, and smart, with a unique architecture that enables the flexibility of virtualization with no sacrifice in performance.
Fast: A non-intrusive software layer sits on bare metal and preserves the real-time properties of the RTOS.
Small: Less than 50,000 lines of code provide a simple solution that preserves optimal power and performance efficiency.
Smart: Isolation technology makes it easy to implement new policies without changing the software; enables smartphone OS functionality on a low-cost hardware platform.
VLX solves fundamental issues for OEMs and silicon vendors by:
• Allowing trusted and proven software to be supported with minimal work
• Enabling easy interchange of high-level OSs and port applications
• Reducing engineering and development effort by 35% to 50%
• Reducing technical risk and requirements for retesting and recertifying
• No degradation of user experience—proven by performance benchmarks
• Includes advanced system level policies for scheduling, memory, power, and security management
• Strong isolation with fine-grain security policy management
• Ready to use fully virtualized Android and Symbian solutions
• Deep IP: 43 filed and three granted patents